Introduced in 2017, the Nintendo Switch is one of the best gaming consoles on the market today. What makes it unique is its hybrid design. It’s a console that can be placed into a docking unit and plugged in to your television set and play by yourself or with friends. It also allows game players the option to play games hands-free and take with them wherever they go.
The Switch allows for online gaming through standard Internet and Wi-Fi connections. It also lets users compete against other Switch players wirelessly. There are a wide selection of games that are available either on standard game cartridges and online at the Nintendo eShop.
While this system often appears on Christmas wish lists, here are a few pros and cons to consider before you buy:
- It’s easy to pick up and play. It’s very easy to switch from TV to hand-held gaming in just a matter of seconds. You can pick up right where you left off.
- The controls are very intuitive. The controls are easy to understand. Multiplayer games are fun and easy to use. The Nintendo Switch tablet is something that you can use for long periods of time without strain or eye soreness. It even comes with a kickstand so you can continue game play after placing it on a flat surface.
- Games load quickly. Most games load right away, depending on the kind of game and file size. There’s no need to wait a long time before you can even play like you have to do on other popular gaming systems.
- It doesn’t take up much shelf space. The entire system can easily fit in a drawer or small shelf on a desk or in an entertainment center. This leaves more room for games and other entertainment items.
- They have a good game library. The Switch has amassed an impressive amount of titles since its release. Nintendo favorites and other popular licensed games have been added on a regular basis. The Switch has options for just about any kind of gamer.
- The system price is competitive. You can buy a new Nintendo Switch system for under $300 at most major retailers. This is around the same price for similar gaming systems offered by competitors.
- The battery life could be longer. The internal battery lasts for a couple of hours or so depending on game play before needing to be recharged. This can be an inconvenience for hardcore gamers or people who are using the Switch to keep them occupied on a long car trip or plane ride.
- Glare can be an issue. To use it properly, you need to be near a good light source. Using the Switch outdoors on a sunny day or relying solely on outdoor light during a cloudy day is not recommended.
- There’s not much internal memory. The Switch only has 32 GB of internal storage, some of which is reserved for the machine’s operating system. This doesn’t leave a lot of memory space for saved game files. Serious gamers may want to invest in a microSD memory card or two to preserve their saved games.
- There’s no backward compatibility. Nintendo lovers have been disappointed by the fact that the Switch isn’t backwards compatible. They often have to spend additional money to buy upgraded versions of some of their beloved Nintendo classics to play on this system.
- You have to pay to play online. It’ll cost you $20 a year to play Nintendo Switch games online. While this may be cheaper than some services, it has been seen as a hindrance to others who are used to free online game play.
- Accessory costs can add up. Most users end up having to pay more than they initially planned. Additional controllers, online game play, games and memory cards can often leave users paying twice the cost of the system or more.
These are just some of the factors to evaluate before buying a Nintendo Switch system. If you or someone you know loves the Nintendo library or is an avid gamer, this can make an excellent Christmas gift. It can provide many hours of entertainment for people of all ages, no matter where you go.